For who? runners, Baby Boomers, retirees, student-athletes
For what? Strength, stamina, functional movement, mobility, flexibility, recovery
KAATSU users follow a variety of KAATSU protocols in order to (1) avoid shin splints or (2) recover from the inflammation and reduce the pain levels of shin splints, and (3) strengthen the calves, quadriceps and glutes.
- Be very well hydrated (at a level where your urine is nearly clear)
- Always and only do KAATSU Cycles before and after exercise (e.g., running)
- Start off with conservative (low) SKU pressures on the KAATSU Cycle and gradually increase the SKU pressures on subsequent KAATSU Cycles
- Start off by doing KAATSU on your arms and then move to your legs – and never do KAATSU simultaneously on both the arms and legs
- Hands and legs should have a pink or rosy appearance when doing KAATSU
- Limit time duration of band inflation to 20 minutes
Systemic effects with KAATSU Air Bands on Arms
- Do KAATSU Cycles on the arms while doing the KAATSU 3-Point Exercises: slowly do hand clenches + biceps curls + triceps extensions while contracting the muscles in both the negative and positive direction
- Do the KAATSU Cycle sessions twice daily, if possible
- Do the first KAATSU Cycle set at a low SKU pressure (e.g., 100 SKU). This level of pressure may not seem to be too difficult, but the first Cycles should be seen as a warm-up. Then do the next 2-4 sets at increasingly higher pressures (e.g., 120 SKU, 140 SKU, 160 SKU, 180 SKU) if the pressure feels comfortable.
- Nothing should be done vigorously and everything should feel comfortable.
KAATSU Legs and/or KAATSU Walking
- Do 1-3 sets of KAATSU Cycles on your legs while simply sitting and relaxing. Follow the same protocol with the legs as with the arms; that is, start with a low, conservative pressure (e.g., 150 SKU) on the legs and then increase the SKU levels on the subsequent sets.
- Stretch or simply walk (if capable) at a comfortable pace (or pace back and forth in a room or office) for 5-15 minutes doing the next 2-5 KAATSU Cycles at an increasingly higher pressure. For example, start off with 150 SKU, then move to 170 SKU on the next Cycle, then 190 SKU and 210 SKU if those pressures feel comfortable.
- KAATSU Walking will greatly help with improved circulation and generate a hormonal response which will help. If walking is uncomfortable, then simply stretch or do the 3-Point Exercises on the legs (sitting heel raises + standing leg raises + quarter non-lock squats).
- There is no need to do squats or any vigorous movements if you are comfortable. If you cannot walk comfortably, then you can simply contract his quadriceps and hamstrings or do heel raises while sitting. But always stop if you do not feel comfortable.
- Over time, you should feel comfortable at increasing the SKU pressure.